Friday, September 14, 2007

My Burnt Tongue

Many of my friends and fellow bloggers have been waxing philosophical on our impending fallness. They have all written about it quite eloquently and while I probably can't say anything terribly mind-bending, I have just burnt my tongue on the first pumpkin spice latte of the season and therefore feel the need to add my thoughts to the fray.

1.) Pumpkin Spice lattes. Believe me, I am NOT a loyal Starbucksian, (shout out to Helen at "Perk Me Up" in Larry-ville) but I cannot pass up a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte... It is the one drink I haven't found satisfactorily replicated elsewhere. Curse you, starbucks, and your delicious everything-I-love-about-fall-in-a-drink.

2.) The Steelers. Seriously, is there anything better than pulling out your Steeler's hoodie, perhaps the rally cap for a particularly tough game, watching the game with any locals you can gather with, then heading to Smoking Joe's for fried Zucchini afterward (either in celebration or to drown your sorrows with anything and everything fried)? The best part? even when that's all over, it's still a hockey night in Pittsburgh... but that's another season.

3.) Running in the fall leaves. Not sweating to death. Not returning to find frost in my hair. Completely losing myself in counting the hundreds of colors passing me by and the crunching beneath my feet. Actually NOT wanting to stop. Running 3 miles further than I meant to.

I defy anyone to take a run or walk in the fall and not go back for seconds.

4.) Hoodies and Birks. It's a perfect storm of comfort and warmth - not yet encumbered by socks, but needing the snuggly warmness of a hoodie. It's by far my favorite outfit (or outfits since I have a hoodie for every day in October I think).

5.) My cat by the fireplace. It's how I define "contentment". I'm pretty sure the cat waits in as eager anticipation as I do for the first night when it is cool enough to warrant lighting the fireplace... or at least the first night where lighting the fireplace would not also necessitate turning on the air conditioning.

6.) Cheezeman's. A haunted hayride like no other and a night with my BFFs that I wouldn't trade for anything. Where else can you stand in line for (sometimes) hours, staving off freezing to death by taking turns making apple cider runs, only to find yourself facing a runaway forklift, weaponized couches and Osama himself. I know, you're jealous, aren't you? I look forward to it all. year. It's better than Christmas. seriously.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

OMG, thank you for reminding me of the pumpkin spice latte, as well as what Spas calls the Rot-Your-Teeth-Chino, aka the caramal apple cider which is a real lark this time of year ;)