Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Purple Toe


So, I ran a marathon in May. Stop laughing. It's true, I have pictures to prove it:


Ha! You didn't believe me, did you? Anyway, this particular post isn't really about the marathon, though I'm sure one will come, this one is about my toe. You can't really tell from the picture, but it rained most of that particular marathon. This meant that my socks got wet, which made them stick to my feet, which also meant that they got up under my toenail and pulled it off the bed, then kept it there for the four or so hours I was running... in the rain. The consequence of this is that my toenail died. It was awesome. Aside from my finisher's medal, it was my proudest moment coming out of the race. It was my battle wound.

It looked terrible. There was blood trapped under the nail and it turned all purple and gross. When people asked about the marathon, I had to but show them my toe; it seemed to tell the whole story: painful and gross, yet somehow amazing and cool.

I am sad to report that last night, at about 9:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time, purple toe* fell off.

Clearly this means that I need to sign up for another marathon. Who's with me?

* by "purple toe", I do just mean my toenail, not my entire toe, but "purple toe" has a much nicer ring to it than "purple toenail", don't ya think?

1 comment:

haddy said...

Ew. You're gonna have to show me.