Thursday, July 17, 2008

Boilermaker

I ran the Boilermaker this past weekend. You may recall I had some lofty goals heading into the weekend. So where to begin....

...I guess you have to begin with the beer. The Boilermaker is hosted by Saranac beer (The F.X Max Brewing Company, actually). Some races have mile markers... this race had signs that read "you're only x miles away from the beer". Nice. Also, no finishers medal, no t-shirt.... just a pint glass as a runner's gift. Again, nice. Here are some other notables, in no particular order:

  • Team Meat. I have no idea what was up with these people, but there were a whole crew of people with giant slabs of steak on their shirts - I definitely drafted off of one of them for a good mile. When I finally passed her, I wanted to let her know that she'd been towing a vegetarian, but I refrained.
  • I beat the Governor of New York.
  • The crowd was crazy; there were people drinking and grilling and otherwise rocking out... all at 8:00 am. that is one dedicated town.
  • I would like to send a personal thank you to all the homeowners who came out with garden hoses to help us on our way... mucho appreciato.
  • I would not like to thank the person who gave me the pina colada flavored popsicle around mile 6. Just kidding, it was my fault, not yours.

In the end, I didn't make my time; there was a screw up with the chips so I don't know my exact time, but it was 1:23:something. I'm okay with that.

Thanks to my parents for making the 6+ hour trip with an almost 3-year-old in tow to watch me run for less than an hour and a half. Hope the free beer afterward was worth it. You're champs!

No comments: