Thursday, August 28, 2008

Princess

I'm the first to admit that I can be kind of hard on my sister. Truth is, I've never really understood and rarely find myself to be on her wavelength. My sister is the girl who never got over her love of pink (and I have a bubble-gum colored bridesmaid dress to prove it), loves to shop, actually wears fuzzy track suits (pink ones), hates to fly and flies off the handle at a moment's notice. She worries worries worries. Oh yeah, and she teaches kindergarten.

Now, I'm assuming that if you're reading this, we've met. I have a restraining order against the color pink, I wear the same clothes until they literally fall apart to avoid shopping for new ones, I am in the air at least a few times a month and a room full of 6-year old children is my recurring nightmare.

But back to my sister. She has always been the Princess, and this did not stop being true when she got married. I was concerned for her, concerned that as the adage goes, she was preparing to be a bride and not a wife. She's not much on compromise and she can be tough to please. She is perfectly at peace with her high maintenance level, I can only assume her husband (my beloved brother-in-law) has made his peace with this as well. Still, I worry for them.

My sister's mother-in-law passed away this week and I am writing this from Ohio where we will attend her funeral tomorrow. Tonight was the viewing and I have to say that I saw my little sister in a whole new light. She was a wife. She stood by her husband's side and greeted family and friends. She talked to the funeral director and made decisions for the family - for her family. She wasn't anyone's princess, she wasn't concerned one bit with herself, only with her husband and her family. I was so very proud of her.


On a lighter note, this is my very favorite picture from her wedding, I feel it captures our relationship beautifully:

Love you Princess!

1 comment:

M*J*C said...

Beautiful post, isn't it wonderful to see people come "full circle"?