Monday, October 27, 2008

Marine Corps Marathon, Part 1

I have a love/hate relationship with "Once a Runner", but this weekend can best be summed up in a quote (paraphrase really) from that book: "you can be so good, but then you have to be so lucky". (Thanks to Dev for those words, though not saving my weekend, they helped).

This was not a lucky weekend for me. I guess it all started Thursday morning at 3:55 AM. I was awoken from a glorious night of sleep to a cold. I woke up with a stuffy nose, a very sore throat and an achy body. I took some ibuprofen and a zinc and went back to sleep. I got up in the morning and went to work, feeling quite like crap, but having to go to work since I wouldn't be back in my office until the following Friday. So, I got everything done that I needed to, went home, and immediately crashed into my bed, still with nothing packed for marathon weekend. I get up that night and pack, not even sure I have everything, but lacking the energy to make sure. I set my alarm and go back to bed. Friday morning I'm to meet my team for the drive to DC. I get everything gathered and head to my car. Won't start. dead battery. A breakdown ensues. It was too much. Sick was one thing, but sick and with a dead battery for some reason I couldn't handle. Don't know if you've ever had a breakdown on a city street in a car at 7:30 on a Friday morning when you're sick.... but I can't really recommend it. It was awhile before I could even get it together enough to call AAA.

The guy who came to jump me could not have been nicer - he was a highlight of this miserable weekend. Here is an except from our conversation:

AAA guy: are you headed to work?

Me: If you can believe it *sniffle sniffle*, I'm running a marathon this weekend and I'm headed to monroeville to meet my team and I'm going to be late and and and....

AAA: Wow, I can't believe anyone can run 26 miles

Me: I can't believe you know that. Every time I tell my mom I'm running a marathon she says "and how long is this one"

AAA: well you have to get your mind on that race; I'll have you out of here in 2 seconds.

He was an angel. Kudos to the fine people at stuckert's auto body!

Meet the team, head to DC... no more major catastrophes. Meet up with Dev on Friday - for his birthday extravaganza (or as much of an extravaganza as I can produce with nothing at my disposal and whist sick). Friday also a highlight of the weekend, we had a fantastic night out in DC and got really really good pizza.

Saturday (while the rest of my team is relaxing and not leaving their hotel beds) I am to meet my family for a strategy session (where were they going to stand, where were we going to meet up afterward, etc etc). No location had been set for this so we decided to meet in Germantown.

Dear readers, there are two Germantowns in Maryland.

I won't tell you exactly how long it took us to establish that we were in cities over 50 miles apart, nor will I tell you some of the exchanges that were made upon said realization.... but I'll pause a moment to let you imagine how that might have gone.

So, there I am... already sick, freaking out about the marathon, and on the wrong effing side of the stupid state.

By the time I finally find my fam (in Silver Spring, which there IS ONLY ONE OF!!!), we barely have time to scarf down some soup at a Panera before I have to return so I can be back in time for the team meeting.

The rest of Saturday is survived but is rather a blur. I go to bed Saturday night sick as hell, but hopeful for a miracle recovery.

Tomorrow, the disaster that was my MCM race..... you're excited, I know.

2 comments:

haddy said...

Oh, Chrisie.

M*J*C said...

I didn't know about the car breaking down, and then you breaking down....f bomb for sure! You were still amazing, we will have better races ahead of us!